(Reuters) – LOS ANGELES – As the actors’ strike enters its 100th day on Saturday, picketers expressed a mix of concern about financial issues and optimism about securing a favorable deal from studios after discussions fell down.
Striking actors were grateful for a proposal by A-list Hollywood actors like George Clooney to throw in $150 million to the SAG-AFTRA union over three years to help end the strike on the picket line outside Netflix on Friday.
“It shows that they’re paying attention and it shows that we’re having an impact because A-listers can’t work without the B and C-Listers underneath them supporting the rest of the show,” said Richard Speight, a 54-year-old restaurateur.
“So thrilled that they’re involved, thrilled that they’re emotionally committed and even willing to get financially committed on what’s going on.”
Vincenza Blank, 36, an actor and writer, said labor solidarity has been impressive but the financial toll has been difficult, saying that “I’ve had to do things financially to cover expenses that I wouldn’t normally have to do.”
The strike has stymied film and television production, affecting thousands of crew members as well as performers. Earlier this month, Hollywood’s film and television writers ratified a new three-year deal, putting an end to their 148-day work stoppage.
Several actors expressed hope that the union would reach the kind of deal that performers deserve and that would assist them in covering the high expense of living in a city like Los Angeles.
“The feeling is that we’re going to stay strong, keep going,” Kevin Grossman said, adding, “I certainly don’t feel like we should stop.” You might as well keep going since you’ve gotten this far.”